Thursday, November 10, 2011

Jacket

I am starting on a jacket.. I had 1-1/2 yds of sweatshirt fleece that I have been wanting to make a jacket out of for some time,,, problem is,, none of my patterns call for less than 2 yards, so my dilemma how do I make it,, then I got to thinking, I can make a loose fitting top (tunic) out of 1-1/2 yds of material,, why not just use a knit top pattern for it,,, ssooo....the most important thing I knew to do was to make it a little bit bigger than the pattern, since this was quit possibly going to be worn over that shirt pattern,, I just had to figure how much to add and where,,,,


 I kept the neck the same,, I added 5/8in to the cf,, and cut that edge for the zipper,,, I added 1/2in to the shoulder and extended that to the armhole tapering down, and eventually cutting off 1/4 in at the side seam,, then extending the side seam 2 in,,,

I then did the same thing to the back...

Here is where not having enough material started to show,, I didn't have enough for the sleeves,, now looking at this pic, it looks like I have plenty, but that is because this is a 3/4 length sleeve pattern,, I needed it about 5 in longer..

I was going to sew stay tape into the shoulder, but couldn't find it, so I put clear elastic  in instead,, hmm that didn't work, so I had to find my stay tape,,,,


Much better...


So far, not bad,, a little big at the sides,

This is the the other place I ran out of material,, the collar, I had a piece of black material, the same kind,, so I just used it,, now I didn't have a pattern for the collar, so I decided to wing it,,, cringe,,, well, you do what you gotta do,,,so I cut a big rectangle,, the width of the neck line plus some, I wanted to make sure I had enough,, plus 7 in,, enough for the extra 4 in of zipper.. will post the finished jacket tomorrow....

No comments: